If you are on Medicare and want to make a change, now is the time to do so. You can add or reduce coverage or change your Advantage Plan insurance carrier if you are covered under Medicare Part C. Here is what you need to know if you plan on making a change:
- Open Enrollment for Medicare is every year from October 15 to December 7.
- You can switch from original Medicare (Part A) to a Medicare Advantage Plan (Part C) or vice versa.
- You can switch from one Medicare Advantage Plan to a different one.
- You can join, drop or switch your Medicare Part D coverage (for prescription drugs). The Medicare plan finder tool can help you compare part D plans based on the drugs you need.
- Any changes you make during this Fall open enrollment period will take effect January 1.
- The best way to enroll in a new plan is by calling 1-800-MEDICARE. Going through Medicare directly is the safest route for switching your plan.
If you choose a Medicare advantage plan during open enrollment and are dissatisfied then you can change from one advantage plan to another during the Medicare Advantage open enrollment which is from January 1 to March 31 each year. Any changes made during this time will take effect on the first day of the month following your switch.
During this period, you can make changes to your Medicare coverage plan. Even if you are satisfied with your current plan it is always smart to shop around in case you can find a plan with the coverage you need for a lower price.
If you need more help navigating your Medicare options call or visit the Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program. This site can help you understand your Medicare options and any changes.
To learn more about Medicare, watch this informative video.