Retirement living is when the fun begins!
It’s finding that place you want to call home that will allow you to enjoy what retirement is truly about – it’s a celebration, a reward for all those years of hard work. It’s a time to relax, travel or take up new hobbies, a time to indulge in all the things you love to do.
You may be surprised at the many housing options, services and amenities available in the senior living industry today. It’s no longer the retirement home you may remember from years ago.
You can choose a home, cottage or apartment within a senior living community, retaining your independence and privacy, while also gaining access to a fitness center, golf course, social events, volunteer opportunities, continuing education courses and more.
Community-Based Independent Living
Independent living communities are focused on the active senior today. They often have full-time activity directors who arrange outings and on-site activities daily.
Residents who live within the community get access to the many community amenities, such as movie theaters, golf courses, wood shops, gardening areas and more. The key is to find that community that fits the lifestyle you want to live.
Tour communities to find the one that matches your interests and how you want to spend your time. You now have time on your hands to do what you want to do. Take these questions into consideration as you tour communities:
- What hobbies do you enjoy now?
- What things have you always wanted to try?
- What activities are available for social interaction?
- What’s on the current activities calendar and does it interest you?
- What opportunities are available for recreational, educational and cultural activities?
- Does the surrounding area interest you?
- What are local attractions?
- Do the amenities offered fit the lifestyle you want, whether that’s yoga, a pool, golf course or volunteer opportunities?
- Is transportation provided or nearby?