A slip, trip and fall is not something to mess around with.
The statistics from the CDC are a bit frightening: 1 out of every 5 falls causes a serious injury; over 700,000 patients a year are hospitalized because of an injury due to a fall; and 95% of hip fractures are caused by falling.
But here’s the good news: falls can be prevented! A few small changes around your home may be what you need to prevent an unwanted trip to the emergency room.
10 Steps to Help Prevent a Fall:
- De-clutter objects you can trip over, such as furniture, throw rugs, and cords
- Improve lighting around your home by using brighter, low-glare light bulbs
- Install handrails in entryways, hallways, and near steps
- Secure all carpets and area rugs with double-sided tape to keep them from slipping
- Lower items in cabinets and closets to reach easily without using a step stool
- Add reflective, non-slip tape on steps
- Install grab bars inside and next to the tub or shower and next to your toilet
- Place non-slip mats or strips in the bathtub and on shower floors
- Use night lights and glow-in-the-dark light switches, motion-activated lights are helpful
- Install lever handles that are easy to grasp on all doors