Some decisions are easier to make than others. Deciding between steak or chicken for dinner, finding the perfect movie to watch on Friday night — these decisions likely won’t keep you up at night. Others, like choosing a specific lifestyle, require more insight and planning.
One of the biggest decisions retirees will make is where and how they will live. The good news is, there’s a blueprint you can follow that will not only help you walk through the different options, but leave you feeling confident about the chosen outcome.
Use this guide to help you pinpoint exactly what you expect from a senior living community. Knowing your non-negotiables can help you build a lifestyle of purpose and passion.
Eskaton is proud to offer comprehensive services and exciting programs that will support senior adults in living beautiful, purpose-filled lives. Our greatest passion is helping everyone find the unique lifestyle that fits their needs.
A Closer Look at Life in a Senior Living Community
Every person has lifestyle features they value and while everyone is unique, there are certain commonalities that contribute to a flourishing life, including:
- Assistance available when needed
- Opportunities for friendship and social interaction
- Activities that appeal to your interests
- Ability to remain physically and cognitively active
- Healthy and delicious dining options
- Transportation options if you’re no longer driving
- Safe and secure living environment
Tips to Determine the Senior Living Lifestyle You Want
Before you begin hunting for the perfect environment for yourself, it may be helpful to take an assessment of where you are now and what you would need to live a safe, engaging lifestyle. Ask yourself the nine questions below to begin visualizing what you will need in a living environment.
1. Have you made a list?
Prioritize what is most important to you. It’s much easier to discover what you’re looking for once you’ve clearly defined what that is.
2. Is your home age-friendly?
Most homes were not built with aging in mind. If your house requires extensive repairs or renovations, it may be easier to find an environment already designed to support the aging process.
3. Do you have access to care or assistance?
If you do require a helping hand or want to prepare for the future possibility, consider whether there are family and friends nearby who can support you in the process.
4. Are you regularly interacting with others?
Social isolation is unfortunately all too common and it’s important to have a community of people around you for support and encouragement.
Download our complimentary resource, Just the Facts: Your Guide to Assisted Living.
5. Do you constantly find yourself bored?
You finally have the time to do whatever you want with your days. Are you filling them with projects and meaningful interactions? If you find yourself bored a little too often, it may be important to find an environment that offers exciting activities and the chance for socialization.
6. Are you able to meet your wellness goals?
Staying physically and cognitively fit is a crucial part of a healthy senior lifestyle. Often, half the battle is finding the opportunities to do so, especially when living alone.
7. Are you committed to a healthy diet?
You know the importance of eating right but after a lifetime of preparing meals, it may be easier to let someone else prepare delicious and nutritious meals.
8. Has it become stressful to rely on others for transportation?
If you are not currently driving, it may begin to feel a little stressful to coordinate rides whenever you need to run errands or go to a doctor’s appointment.
9. Do you feel safe and secure in your home and community?
As we grow older, we can begin to feel less confident in living alone. Having a community of others nearby can help you feel safe and secure in your environment.
Bonus Tips When Finalizing Your Senior Living Lifestyle Decision
- Schedule in-person visits to a few local communities to see for yourself if you could imagine living there.
- Imagine yourself at home there. What floorplan would you choose? Arrange to participate in one of the activities and join the other residents for lunch. Not only will you have the opportunity to experience daily life, but you can discover how easy it may be to make connections with the other residents.
- Spend time talking with the staff — not only to learn about the different levels of service but to get a better idea of how they interact with the residents.
- A choice in lifestyle is a big decision. If possible, don’t rush. Take time to compare the different options to discover which one is the best fit for you.
- Don’t wait too long. If you find yourself needing more than what your current environment offers, begin the search right away and you will soon find a community that provides everything you could need for purposeful living.
Life at Eskaton Communities
We believe in the magic and purpose within each of our residents and see each day as an opportunity to enhance their lives. In fact, Eskaton is defined as “the dawning of a new day.” We’ve been proudly serving the Sacramento region and Northern California for over 50 years and look forward to many more.
The Eskaton Difference starts with our life-enriching programs and collaborative partnerships. With a national reputation for innovation, we focus on creating communities that provide our residents with everything they need for purposeful and passionate living.
We invite you to visit one of our award-winning communities to witness the magic yourself and learn about some of the amenities we offer, including:
- Private residences
- Delicious and nutritious meals
- Social opportunities to meet and make new friends
- Creative activities and therapies
- Fitness centers and exercise classes
- Housekeeping services
- Transportation services
- 24-hour staffing
- Free Wi-Fi
- And much, much more!
If you’re considering whether senior living could be the best choice for you or a loved one, we’re here to answer any questions that you may have. We also invite you to download some helpful complimentary information, Just the Facts: Your Guide to Assisted Living. To schedule a personalized tour, call us at 1-866-ESKATON (or 1-866-375-2866) or visit eskaton.org.