Unfortunately, we can’t completely avoid bad situations or negative events in our lives. However, what we can control is our attitude and how we react to negativity.
Learning how to stay positive in negative situations is invaluable in leading a healthy lifestyle. There are several things you can do daily that will help you age gracefully with a good attitude.
Check out these benefits and tips to keeping a positive outlook.
Benefits of a Positive Outlook, according to research in Psychosomatic Medicine:
- Lower levels of inflammation
- Lower levels of heart disease
- Healthier relationships
- Higher self-esteem
- Better decision-making
- Less stress
5 Ways to Stay Positive:
- Retrain your mind. Instead of criticizing yourself or making black and white statements such as “always” or “never,” replace it with a positive statement and remove the “always” or “never.” At some point, this will become more natural as your brain automatically turns a negative into a positive.
- Practice gratitude. Write down two or three things – big or small – that you are thankful for each day and focus on that whenever you feel negativity.
- Remind yourself to savor. Stop and smell the roses. Look at them, touch them, and learn to appreciate the good and positive things in life.
- Share your good news. Studies show those who told a friend about a happy event enjoyed it even more.
- Hang out with kindred spirits. People can bring you down or lift you up. Surround yourself with positive people, and limit your time or avoid those who drag you down.