Having a conversation with a parent about safe driving is not easy. It may quickly venture into issues of freedom, loss of control and just who is the parent, anyway?
Remember: The root of the conversation is safety; the safety of your parents as well as the safety of other drivers.
Begin by taking a drive with your parent and look for:
- Dents and scrapes on the car or garage doors
- Trouble moving foot from gas to brake pedal
- Slow response to unexpected situations
- Trouble seeing or following traffic signals
- Difficulty concentrating or being easily distracted
- Trouble turning to check the rear and blind spots
- Misjudges gaps in traffic
- Road rage
- Frequent "close" accidents
- Getting lost, especially in familiar locations
If you notice any of these, your parent likely is not driving safely. It may be time to begin a conversation about alternative transportation, like Eskaton's Transportation Plus program or Paratransit. Now might also be the perfect time to talk about senior living options that provide transportation and convenience.
Eskaton offers independent and assisted living options which include transportation services for appointments and errands, transportation-provided outings and many social and life enrichment activities.
Also consider a geriatric evaluation where specialized care managers assess, coordinate and equip you with information and options. Our care managers are nurses and social workers who provide solutions that benefit your parent and your family.
As your parent begins showing signs that suggest they may need assistance, call Live Well at Home by Eskaton at 916-459-3220 to schedule an evaluation with one of our care managers or click here to download the signs checklist today.