Every second of every day in the U.S. an older adult takes a fall. In addition to reduced safety and independence for seniors, falls can come at a substantial economic and personal cost.
As seniors age, they become comfortable in their surroundings and may be reticent to change. Falls are often due to safety hazards that are easily overlooked, yet are easy to fix with a simple change. Eskaton recommends a thorough look throughout your home to identify any potential dangers or safety hazards.
Here are a few helpful tips to safety proof your home:
- Add tape to rugs to secure them to the floor
- Tie up or move any cords keeping them out of your walking path
- Remove obstacles from paths of travel to ensure you have a clear path of movement
- Add hand bars and non-slip rubber mats where needed in the bathroom
- Keep your most used items at an easily reachable level, not too high or too low
- Only lift things that are in your comfort level
- Use easy-to-roll carts to transport heavier items like groceries
- Keep rooms well-lit and replace burned-out light bulbs immediately before
You should also review medications with your doctor once a year that could be a potential cause for lack of balance or concentration. Having your eyes checked annually also ensures you have the correct eyewear prescription or can identify if you need one. Also, make sure your physical assistance equipment is in good working order.
One additional measure is to make sure you keep your emergency phone numbers in an easily accessible location.
With Eskaton’s comprehensive livable design experience, we can provide the information you need to enjoy your best life safely and independently.
For more information on how to prevent falls, sign up for our live virtual summit on September 30th featuring webinars from experts on fall prevention.
Life at Eskaton Communities
The word Eskaton means “dawn of a new day.” In our communities, we see each day as an opportunity to enhance the lives of our residents. We’ve been serving the Sacramento region and Northern California for over 50 years.
The Eskaton Difference starts with our life-enriching programs and collaborative partnerships. With a national reputation for innovation, we focus on creating communities that provide our residents with everything they need for purposeful living.
We invite you to visit one of our award-winning communities to discover some of the benefits we offer, such as:
- Private residences
- Delicious and nutritious meals
- Social opportunities to meet and make new friends
- Creative activities and therapies
- Fitness centers and exercise classes
- Housekeeping services
- Transportation services
- 24-hour staffing
- Free Wi-Fi
- And much, much more!
If you’re considering whether senior living could be the best choice for you or a loved one, we’re here to answer any questions that you may have. We also invite you to download our complimentary information, Just the Facts: Your Guide to Assisted Living. To schedule a personalized tour, call us at 1-866-ESKATON (1-866-375-2866) or visit eskaton.org.