As the holidays are in full effect you may end up going out to dine with friends or family who are in town. Here are some good tips to keep you on track when deciding what to eat at a restaurant.
Tips for making healthy food choices when eating out during the holiday season:
- Watch portion sizes. Portions can be double or triple the size that you would consume if you made the meal at home.
- Choose whole-grain breads or wraps for sandwiches.
- Choose a healthy side option, such as fruit or a side salad.
- Order broth-based soups rather than cream-based soups.
- Skip the bread and butter.
- Share a meal with a friend. One portion at a restaurant, split in half, is sure to satisfy your hunger.
- Get grilled meats instead of fried — for example, grilled chicken instead of fried chicken.