Are you looking ahead to the next chapter of your life? If you’re looking for a certain lifestyle, where you decide to live as you age can make all the difference. You’ll want to make sure your “home base” can help you achieve your goals and support your interests.
If you’re considering senior living as an option, you likely have many questions about what an independent living community has to offer. Many find it helpful to start their research by considering the advantages this type of residential living can provide.
Benefits of Independent Living Communities
- Private residences: Senior living communities have private homes designed to support you in aging well that you can personalize to make your own.
- Independent lifestyle: Activities, exercise classes or spending a quiet night at home? With a wide range of opportunities available, you can tailor your lifestyle to your needs and interests.
- Maintenance-free living: Leave the upkeep and repairs of your home to someone else and spend more time doing those things you love.
- A variety of activities: Senior living communities typically have robust monthly calendars offering a wide selection of life enrichment programs to meet a variety of interests.
- Help with staying physically healthy: Take advantage of the wellness classes, fitness equipment or games offered at most independent living communities.
- Social events and entertainment: See a movie, enjoy a concert and explore countless opportunities to learn something new.
- Delicious dining: Cook at home in your private residence or take the night off and enjoy delicious, nutritionally-balanced meals in the community’s dining room.
- Opportunities to make friends: Visit with friends and make new connections by participating in activities, social gatherings or sharing a meal with other residents.
- Scheduled transportation: No longer driving? Take advantage of complimentary transportation to shopping venues or special events.
- Safety and security: Enjoy peace of mind knowing the community’s (and your home’s) security is always a top priority.
Considering Independent Living? Ask the Right Questions
If you’re wondering if independent living could be the right fit for you, the answers to these important questions can help guide you toward the right decision.
Questions to ask yourself:
- Would I enjoy community life?
Look at the residential options, amenities and activities available and try to imagine yourself living there. Consider the convenience of having everything you need available right outside your front door.
- Would a community support the lifestyle I want?
Are you tired of maintenance or other home upkeep? Do you plan to travel and don’t want to worry about leaving a vacant home behind? Has your neighborhood changed or you’re beginning to feel isolated? Independent living could be the answer.
- Do I want to become more active and engaged?
Is your current home conveniently located near gyms or recreation centers so you can easily keep your exercise goals? Are you able to attend social events you enjoy or are you finding it more difficult? You’ll typically find fitness centers, scheduled events and a wide variety of activities in the community.
- Am I looking for opportunities to meet and make friends?
Have friends moved away or you’ve lost touch and find yourself a little lonely? Independent living makes meeting your neighbors and other residents simple. Not only will you find much in common but all the activities and social events make it easy to get to know each other.
- Does my home still fit my changing needs?
As people grow older, many find their houses are too large to maintain. There might be too many stairs to climb or extensive renovations may be needed to make it more accessible and supportive. Independent living communities are designed to help support their residents in aging and living well.
Questions to Ask the Independent Living Community
- What services are offered and what is included in the price?
You’ll want to be clear on the cost of living at the community you’re interested in and what services are included, such as housekeeping, transportation and dining. You’ll also want to ask about any extra services that may be available and their corresponding fees.
- Is there a selection of floor plans to choose from?
You may appreciate a smaller home in general, but many older adults would still prefer to have a choice in their residence’s size and layout. Consider if you would like a certain view or optional features like a patio or balcony. If the community is housed in a multi-story building, would you prefer going up or staying near ground level?
- Do the amenities and activities match my interests and preferences?
Consider how well the offered amenities, activities and programs match with the things you love to do and are interested in. Are there exercise classes that you’d like to try or clubs you could join? Is there a pool if you love to swim, or walking trails if you prefer a daily stroll?
- Are there opportunities to make friends?
Many people choose independent living to expand their social circle and share experiences with new friends. If this ranks high on your list, ask how the community supports getting to know your new neighbors and the other residents. Are there group activities, happy hours or other social events available?
- Is it possible to experience a taste of community life?
Many communities offer prospective residents the chance to experience the community first-hand to help them decide if they’d like to make it their new home. Ask about programs that allow you to spend a night or weekend at the community. Try out the amenities, participate in social events and enjoy a few meals to help make a more confident decision.
Life at Eskaton Communities
The word Eskaton means “dawn of a new day.” In our communities, we see each day as an opportunity to enhance the lives of our residents. We’ve been serving the Sacramento region and Northern California for over 50 years.
The Eskaton Difference starts with our life-enriching programs and collaborative partnerships. With a national reputation for innovation, we focus on creating communities that provide our residents everything they need for purposeful living. We invite you to visit one of our award-winning communities to discover some of the benefits we offer, such as:
- Private residences
- Delicious and nutritious meals
- Social opportunities to meet and make new friends
- Creative activities and therapies
- Fitness centers and exercise classes
- Housekeeping services
- Transportation services
- 24-hour staffing
- Free Wi-Fi
- And much, much more!
If you’re considering whether senior living could be the best choice for you or a loved one, we’re here to answer any questions you may have. We also invite you to download our complimentary information, Family Decision Toolkit: How to choose the right senior living community.
To schedule a personalized tour, call us at 1-866-ESKATON (or 1-866-375-2866) or visit eskaton.org.