August means rising temperatures and keeping hydrated becomes even more critical to your health and well-being. When your water intake does not equal your output, you can become dehydrated.
Keeping hydrated however, requires some creativity if you’re like most people. Here are some great ideas to keep your hydration game strong:
- Drink fruit-infused water.Try infusing fresh fruit in your water and experimenting with interesting combinations like strawberries and basil; lemon and cucumber; watermelon and mint; or blueberries and lemon.
- Drink a glass of water in the AM. Drink a glass of water while you wait for your coffee to brew.
- Carry a reusable bottle of water with you. When you leave the house be sure you have your reusable water bottle with you. This healthy habit is a great way to ensure you stay hydrated when you are outside the home.
- Freeze your fruit. Blend a hydrating ingredient like watermelon and fill Popsicle molds, and freeze for one hour.
- Pack your plate with vegetables. Salads are a great way to give you a hydrating boost. Most lettuce greens contain at least 94 percent water.
- Sip smoothies. Smoothies are a great and tasty way to stay hydrated. Not sure what to include? Coconut water, strawberries, peaches, cucumbers, spinach, and blueberries are all excellent options.
- Break it up. Thinking about drinking eight glasses a day can be overwhelming – break the day down into manageable bite size pieces. Set goals for yourself to drink two glasses of water by 10:00 am, four glasses by noon, and eight glass by bedtime. This will also help keep you motivated.