What’s the breakfast of champions for seniors? What nutrients will fuel your body and mind all day long?
It’s not a bowl of Wheaties. It’s not even a banana.
Certain foods eaten first thing in the morning can boost your energy and memory throughout the day. Studies also show certain foods can help ward off the signs of aging. Why not start your day with foods that provide energy, brain power, and a few less wrinkles!
5 Breakfast Foods For A Healthy Diet As You Age
- Eggs. The incredible, edible egg still remains a staple breakfast food. Eggs are high in protein and B vitamins, which convert food into energy within the body. They also contain choline, shown to protect your memory, and lutein and zeaxanthin, which help protect against vision loss.
- Green tea. Rich in the antioxidant EGCG, green tea helps fight wrinkles and rejuvenate skin cells. Green tea also may protect against cancer, control blood sugar levels, and help reduce inflammation associated with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
- Oatmeal. Avoid the added-sugar oatmeal packets. Eat plain oatmeal topped with fruits, raisins, spices and/or nuts. Oats contain both soluble and insoluble fiber to help lower cholesterol and stabilize blood glucose levels throughout the day.
- Blueberries. The tiny superfruit is filled with antioxidants. Studies suggest eating blueberries regularly can help improve everything from memory and motor skills to blood pressure and metabolism.
- Pomegranate juice. Pomegranate has been shown to help fight wrinkles, slow down the natural ‘wear and tear’ of DNA, help prevent heart disease and provide stress relief.
Looking for a new breakfast sandwich?
Try Avocado Toast with Eggs, Spinach, and Tomatoes. Whole-grain toast is topped with mashed avocado, sautéed spinach, scrambled egg whites and tomato slices, providing protein, leafy greens and wholesome goodness.
Ready to stop worrying about what to eat for breakfast?
See what it’s like to have a chef cook for you. Download A Taste of Eskaton to experience dining at a senior living community.
One of the many benefits of moving into a senior living community with dining included is not having to cook, do dishes or worry about what nutritious foods you should be eating. Yet, you may wonder: What food is served? Is there much variety? Will I even like it?
At Eskaton, we have top quality chefs and expert dieticians who work together to provide our residents gourmet entrées, fresh seasonal produce, special treats made from scratch, and daily variety to satisfy even the most sophisticated taste buds.
Nutritious and delicious is how we describe the fine dining at Eskaton.
We invite you to come enjoy a Taste of Eskaton!
Eskaton is Northern California’s largest nonprofit community-based organization serving seniors. With four decades of experience, Eskaton’s vision is to transform the aging experience.
Schedule a tour and meal with us at any one of our Eskaton senior living communities. Call us today at (888) 684-6554 or contact Eskaton online.